Sunday, April 19, 2009

Carter Caves Camping














We had a great time at Carter Caves this weekend. We took Oaklen to celebrate his report card. We told him we were going on a picnic and he was surprised when he finally realized we were camping. I snuck around all week to make sure he did not catch me packing everything up. We did not tell him until we were sitting in front of the sign entering Carter Caves.
We started the day off getting our tents up and heading out for a hike. By the time we got back from our hike it was time to get dinner on the fire. We played scrabble and had smores.
Saturday we got up bright and early and headed out for the cave tours. We really enjoyed going to the cascade cave. It was a very pretty cave with a lot of bats! We had a picnic before heading off to the X cave which we had already been through. On both tours we were lucky enough to only be with one other couple. So we were able to ask many questions. We were so tired after the caves we headed back to the tents for a nap. We also fit in put put, more scrabble, cards, smores, and Adam and Oaklen played secret mission in the dark hiding behind trees.
At one point Saturday we took Oaklen to the play ground where he met a few friends. Adam and I got a kick out of Oaklen when we heard him introduce himself. He said "My name is Oaklen and don't you dare say it like I'm from California!" Oaklen had fun playing tag with them for a good 45 minutes to an hour.
Sunday morning we woke up to RAIN! Uggg we had to pack it all up and head home. I was bummed because I had planned another hike and Adam did not want to go even though I had brought ponchos. I have to admit though I was pretty tired by that point.
I would like to send a special thanks out to Nana Doe and Granny for watching the trio for the weekend so we had a chance to spoil our oldest son. We really enjoyed hearing the laughter and seeing the smiles on Oaklen face.

No comments: